||Carpets (main) : Carpets Tips
Carpet Tips & Hints
Get the best out of your carpet with these handy hints on buying, laying and caring for your new floor coverings.
- Carpet is a major long term investment, so research your investment carefully from the start.
- Consider your needs and lifestyle before seeking advice from several professionals.
- Lighter coloured carpets add spaciousness to a room, leaving you the option to use darker paints for feature walls and other décor
- Dark colour carpets make a room feel smaller, so keep the rest of your décor light and fresh
- Ask about carpet construction, fibre, weight and density.
- For best results, choose the highest quality carpet your budget will allow.
- Always use a high quality carpet underlay.
- A professional carpet layer will make the best job of installing your new carpet.
- Invest in a good vacuum cleaner with enough suction to remove all ground-in dirt, not just surface debris.
- To prolong your carpet life, vacuum once or twice a week. Use a crevice tool to clean around baseboards.
- Vacuum heavy traffic areas using a crisscross pattern of vacuum strokes.
- Have all carpet professionally steam cleaned at least annually. High traffic areas will benefit from more frequent steam cleaning.
- Make a rule to remove all shoes at the front door
- Use mats or runners in high traffic areas to protect your carpet and add creativity to your décor.
- A dash of baking soda in your vacuum cleaner bag fights odors.
- Add soil retardants to new or freshly cleaned carpets, always following manufacturers' advice
- Spot clean all spills immediately, scraping off excess carefully and blot using white paper towel.
- Never rub or scrub your carpet as this can cause permanent damage.