||Pet transport (main) : Pet transport articles : Animal Freight Fish
Fish travelling overseas, interstate
Travelling interstate or overseas with your fish needn’t be stressful. Follow these hints to ensure your pet enjoys a safe, relaxing trip:
- Consider a specialist pet transport company so your fish’s travel is handled by experts. They will ensure your pet is transported in air-conditioned comfort to and from the airport, and that all paperwork is done and quarantine requirements met.
- Ask your pet transporter about quarantine (link to fish quarantine article) when moving your pet interstate or overseas. Depending on the destination, your fish might need to spend some time in quarantine.
- A reputable company will have an AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Services) accredited vet, who will examine your fish before departure and sign the appropriate forms.
- Fish are transported in double plastic bags filled with water two-thirds of the way up, and sealed tightly, before being placed in a polystyrene container for stability during the trip to the airport and the flight.
- You can collect the bags and container from your pet transporter some days before leaving.
- On the day before departure, feed your fish as normal, then transfer it or them to the plastic bags, and then into the polystyrene container. This allows the fish to get used to their new surroundings, and gives you time to clean out the tank and accessories.
- Take your fish in their container to the pet transporter, or if they collect from your home, travel with them to the transporter’s office.
- Once your fish has been checked for quarantine purposes, if necessary, there is no more to do until the fish arrive.
Your fish will travel in an air-conditioned van to the airport, at the same temperature as the plane. If the flight is an international one, they will be checked at each stopover.
What happens when you fish arrives?
On arrival, your fish will be collected by the pet transporter representative and cleared through Customs and Quarantine.
If they do not need quarantine, they will be brought to your home in an air-conditioned van.
If the fish have to spend a period in quarantine, the pet transporter can arrange to pick them up when they’re free to come home.
Click here for a quote on specialist pet fish transport.
Click here for quotes from service providers